Friday 17 October 2014

On a Lighter More Enjoyable Note ...

For quite a few blogposts my topics have been sought of hard hitting. Like a hammer I seek to nail my convictions down. Topics like, The "Dear White People" movie discussion, "How Men Treat Women in Sweet TnT", (Trinidadian men I love you) "Interracial Relationships part 1"which is more heavy than hard hitting since it's a topic that tends to strike a painful nerve with some (as the topic of race usually does) and then there's my latest - "Don't Scrutinize the Girl by the Cover" where I strike quite a few punches in my passionate quest to save those out there who are drowning due to crass and indifferent mindsets. Please don't hold it against me.

In my attempts to make up for all the dished out blows, I'd like to let you know that my next few posts will be of a lighter, more enjoyable tone. MOVIES! YES MOVIES! Definitely a subject most can say they enjoy. In every other blogposts for the next two posts after this one I'll be addressing one or two movies per post, highlighting why I think it's a must see or at least a try-it-you-might-like-it-more-than-you-ever-expected-to type movie. Mind you the movies I am about to highlight may not be those you've ever heard of and you may even find yourself asking WTH??? But bare with me and take time to at least find out both the entertainment aspect and the message it offers.

So without further ado, this week
the movie I'd like to highlight and
recommend is - "The Painted
Veil".  If you like unpredictable, endearing dramas with a storyline that will haunt you for days on end, then "The Painted Veil" is the movie for you. If you've seen it already then you can agree with me that this movie is worth your time and gives you something to think about. It is as entertaining and bewitching as it is enlightening.  The name of the movie gives nothing away since the ambiguous title leaves one scratching their head and uttering, 'Huh! What does a painted veil have to do with anything?' So as not to bore you with details I will leave it up to you to do the research on the movie title (believe you me, you will want to know).

The film aired in movie theaters in the year 2006 and stars Edward Norton and Naomi Watts alongside a memorable cast of characters. Originally a novel of the same name written by W. Somerset Maugham, the movie screenplay was written by Ron Nyswaner and directed by John Curran. It is set in the 1920's era and begins with the story of Kitty, a rich, beautiful yet spoiled and selfish young woman who lives her life wildly and precariously without thought for her reputation as a lady yet to be married. When her parents have had enough they set the stage for her engagement to a well to do but rather dull bacteriologist and MD by the name of Walter Fane. Unhappy with the match but for her own selfish reasons Kitty reluctantly accepts his proposal of marriage. Walter's new job takes them away to Hong Kong shortly after they are married.

Naomi Watts in "The Painted Veil" as "Kitty"


There, Kitty's boredom coupled with her spoilt and selfish character puts her in a position she considers as her worst nightmare and soon she is heading off into one of China's most remote villages where there is a cholera outbreak. Walter is with her but already heartbroken and bitterly disappointed by what he has come to learn of her they head into this harsh and unknown territory as if they are strangers rather than a newlywed couple and together they learn hard lessons that will change them both, for life. Visually the movie is stunning with incredible scenes from China's untouched forrest lands. The soundtrack was also very fitting with its beautiful yet haunting theme.

If you still have your doubts after reading this and watching the trailer you can check out reviews here, herehere and here. I promise you, once you see it, you won't regret it! Click here to see the movie and let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment